Sunday, February 11, 2018

Every Day Carry

I've never thought much about what I carry with me every day.  I just load my pockets and go.  Now I've found out there is an entire genre of websites built around "EDC", or Every Day Carry.  Apparently some people don't just load their pockets, they pack luggage:


I'm pretty sure somewhere in there this guy has a kitchen sink.

I've always subscribed to the old adage, probably military in origin, that says, "Travel light and freeze at night."  I doubt I'll ever need to drag around a case of MRE's or a dome tent, so I've pared down what I carry on me to this:



Depending on the season and what clothes I can wear (shorts and t-shirt vs jeans and a jacket) I'll often carry, where legally allowed, a small pistol, either in a waist holster (shown) or a pocket holster.  Since I was a kid I've carried a pocket knife, and now a car FOB and an apartment key, an iPhone 6, a nylon (?) wallet from REI (that has lasted 10 years with zero sign of wear), and a Casio watch.  Not shown are a Medic Alert bracelet and a wedding ring.  That's it.  My glasses are the kind that darken when outdoors, so I don't even need sunglasses anymore.



In my car I keep a small bag containing a sheath knife, a glass breaker/seatbelt cutter, a screwdriver with various tips, a Gerber multi-tool (small saw, blade, file), a couple of spare carabiners, a phone charger, a space blanket, and in a second compartment underneath, a pair of Mechanix gloves and small first aid kit.  I can usually find a spare bottle of water somewhere, a koozie, and a few towels in my car, too. 



And finally, as I usually spend an inordinate amount of time waiting for every thing *agony* I carry an iPad mini and some wireless headphones.  I'll usually read news (BBC, The Guardian, AP News, CNN, The Economist), listen to podcasts (I like Ted Talks, Planet Money, The Indicator, American History Tellers), and read Kindle books (currently Directorate S: The CIA and America's Secret Wars in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Steve Coll).  Rarely fiction, and not much music, either.

I suppose, except for an absolutely apocalyptic event, I have what I need.  So how about you?  What do you carry daily with you?

S

EDIT:  In the back of my car I have a plastic box with a small tire compressor, jumper cables, and other assorted car/road emergency equipment.


5 comments:

  1. Today it was a military ID, credit card, car/house keys. Some days it is wallet and car keys if I am driving. On walking days a Ruger LCP in pocket holster which holds my CCP and home/car keys. Cargo shorts, jeans and sweat pants are my only pants worn and normally a colored T shirt. I keep two canvas bags in my trunk, one with basic tools that fit the car and the other with fuse set, tail lamps, code reader, tire fix kit, air compressor and a multi meter. A few heavy zip ties and gorilla tape and a 4x4 sheet thick plastic sheet. So far have only needed a fuse and multimeter and code reader while out on the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're reasonably well prepared for whatever life sends your way. Kudos.

      Delete
  2. Hm...interesting. I've always enjoyed looking at photos of what people carry in their bags. I think it's Flickr that has groups called "What's in my bag."

    I'll have to take a picture of what I carry. Basically, keys, wallet, phone, camera (usually just one, but sometimes two). Well, a bunch of other stuff, but those are the important items.

    And chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this time of year with the snow they say to keep food, water, a blanket, and a phone charger with you in the car so if you get stuck or go off the road or something. I usually pack an insulin pen too with a couple of tips. You must go into some rough neighborhoods if you need a gun and knife and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I carry a car key fob, a wallet and my smartphone. Sometimes I wear a watch and my wedding ring. (The ring is loose and I'm afraid of losing it.) But compared to you I feel like a piker!

    ReplyDelete